Garbage Collection & Recycling
The Village of Carbon Cliff contracts with an outside waste management company for solid waste collection and recycling. Everyone within the village limits is required to have garbage and recycling collection.
Trash Collection Day - Tuesday
Placement of Carts
On your collection day, your waste cart should be placed out for collection by 6:00 am. To keep your cart clean and reduce litter, we recommend that garbage is placed in trash bags within your waste cart. Please follow these recommendations:
- Make sure the garbage tote opening is facing the street.
- Make sure there is a minimum of three feet (3') of open space to the left and the right of your garbage tote.
- Make sure the front of your garbage tote is no farther than two feet (2') away from the edge or the road.
- Do not park your vehicle infront of your garbage tote or obstruct your tote in any way.
- Do not overfill your garbage tote. The lid should be able to close flat.
- Make sure to place all items inside of a bag within the garbage tote if possible. Items that fall out of the garbage tote will not be picked up. The homeowner will be responsible for any spilled garbage.
- Do not place additonal bags outside of the garbage tote, those will not be collected.
- If you need an additional garbage tote, please contact the Village Hall to pay for an additional tote.
On weeks when a holiday occurs, if your collection day falls on or after a holiday, the collection will shift to the following day for the remainder of the week. Except on Sundays. You may visit Republic Services website to view the pickup and holiday collection schedule. The following holidays are observed by Republic Services:
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Yard Waste collection is available from April through November and will occur on Tuesdays (effective October 4, 2022). In order to be collected, yard waste must be set out in either a biodegradable paper bag with a sticker or must have a brush-tie. Brush and tree branches may not exceed 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter and must be bundled with jute twine or uncoated string. Bundles must not exceed 2 feet in diameter or 50 pounds in weight. Stickers are available at the Village Hall. During the months of April and November, yard waste stickers are not required for collection.
Collection of Bulk Items
Special pickups are available for large bulky items that cannot go into garbage containers for regular garbage collection. If your items are greater than what would fit into a standard F150 pick-up truck bed (8'x8'x2'), than you may have to schedule an additional pickup. Each pick up will be for one truck load or less. Entire house cleanouts will require a dumpster.
Republic Services provides bulky item collections on Wednesdays only. Itmes may be placed out on the weekend prior to the scheduled collection date. All items must be out by 6am on the scheduled date. Please contact the Village Hall at (309) 792-8235 to schedule the pick-up prior to placing your items out. Items shall be placed in a neatly stacked pile where your normal garbage is picked up.
Guidelines for Bulky Item Pick Ups:
• Small items such as clothes, dishes, and toys must be kept together in a bag, box, or container not weighing more than 50lbs each.
• Carpet may be set out, but must be cut into 4-foot wide sections, rolled up and secured into bundles.
• Wood pieces with nails or staples must have them hammered down or removed.
• Lawn mowers must have all fluids drained.
Bulky item pickups may not be used for televisions, computer equipment, appliances, used tires, household hazardous materials, asphalt, construction material (drywall) roofing materials(shingles), railroad ties, bricks, or concrete.
Unacceptable Item Alternatives:
• Ammunition: Live bullets, explosive materials, fireworks, or other munitions will not be collected.
• Appliances / White Goods (stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, dishwashers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, hot water heaters, etc.) Dispose of household appliances (white goods) free by calling 1-877-934-5378 to schedule a time for curbside pick up.
• Batteries (Rechargeable): May be taken to Batteries Plus during store hours at 300 Avenue of the Cities, East Moline. Rechargeable batteries that are accepted include vehicle, motorcycle, marine, sealed lead acid, NICD (Nickel Cadmium), Ni-MH Nickel Metal Hydride, and LION (Lithium).
• Computers/Televisions: Contact Scott Area Landfill at 1-563-381-1300.
• Paint: Unwanted or unused oil-based and latex paint products may be taken to the Scott Area Landfill. Contact 1-563-381-1300 for drop-off date and directions. No charge.
• Tires: Dispose of used passenger tires free by calling 1-877-934-5378 to schedule a time for curbside pickup. Limit of 10 tires per household, per year.
The following items are classified as Recyclable Materials: Newspapers, inserts, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, envelopes, paperback books, phone books, cardboard, clean pizza boxes, office/school papers, boxboard, paper bags (grocery type), paper egg recycling cartons, aluminum cans, clean foil, tin and aerosol cans (empty), and all plastic containers (#1-7). What Can I Recycle?
Appliances "White Goods" & Tires
If you live in Rock Island County and would like to request appliance or tire pick up, please Weikert Recycling and fill out the pick up request form and you will be contacted to schedule a pickup. Rock Island County residents are allowed 4 appliances and 10 tires per calendar year. Tires can be mmounted on rims. You may also call 877-WEIKERT (934-5378).